7 Ways Your Body is Alerting You to Mold Exposure

Mold is one of the major problems that are difficult to identify in most of our homes. Molds can grow anywhere in your house, especially, in the roofs where there is the presence of leaks and in objects present in your room and thrives in a moist and warm environment. Molds affect the indoor air quality hence has a negative impact on humans and other living pets in your house, as they cause illnesses, infections, toxic reactions, and irritations. It is something that should not be taken lightly, as it can lead to more fatal effects on you and your loved ones.


The most common types of molds are :

  • Penicillium
  • Cladosporium
  • Alternaria
  • Stachybotrys

People with allergies are more sensitive to molds when they come to contact with it and are likely to experience some symptoms. There are Seven symptoms of mold exposure that need our attention which we’ll be going through next, and everybody needs to be aware of, and take preventive measures against it.


Being exposed to molds can trigger headaches that can occur due to an allergic reaction to spores of molds in the air, or even can be as a result of toxic substances produced by some of the molds called mycotoxins.

The more you are exposed to the molds, the more severe headache will persist, and this will disrupt your daily life if you don’t handle the mold problem in the environment where you are living in. it is something that should not be taken lightly.

Aches and pains

Some individuals may experience aches and pains as symptoms caused by allergy to molds. When mold spores are exposed to the air around you, it makes contact with it, and contaminate the air, which makes you and your family vulnerable to mold toxicity.

Because of the air, you’re breathing, it can get into your body systems, which can trigger insidious and severe conditions, like chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) that usually causes pain in your joints and severe fatigue.

Confusion and memory loss

Many times anxiety could cause difficulties in remembering or focusing on things, but that is related to stress; this is not always the case for confusion and memory loss signs, which are symptoms of being exposed to molds.

Molds play a vital role in reducing the quality of air circulating in your house that causes one to experience brain fog due to inhalation of poor quality of air and might cause numbness and forgetting of simple words and slowing down your memory.

Nose bleeding

Nose bleeding is a sign of mold exposure, about 25 percent of the people are sensitive to molds, severe and frequent nose bleeding experiences means a serious mold problem, and you need to seek immediate medical attention to treat the condition.

if you suspect of mold toxicity, and made sure of the presence of mold spores. Therefore having mold in your house is very dangerous to your health and for your loved ones, including pets living in your home as well.

Coughing and watery eyes

Coughing is also an early symptom of mold exposure (also called mold toxicity) is one of the reactions that you can experience when you are exposed to mold spores, at this stage coughing is accompanied by eyes irritation, or watery eyes either in one of the eyes or both of them, this due to mold spores that infect the air surrounding you, causing many vision problems.

It would help if you urgently resolved this effect by reducing or preferably by locating and eliminating molds in your house. When dealing with molds, you need to be on proper safety gear when cleaning up molds by yourself or a professional to eradicate molds to handle it on your behalf.

Difficulty breathing

Breathing difficulty can be experienced if you have an allergy against molds where your immune tends to overreact when you breathe air toxicities of mold spores. Some people’s allergies are linked with asthma, and when they get exposed to mold spores, the body reacts by restricting breathing by blocking airways.

Such kinds of allergy can only be reduced by avoiding getting exposed to unclean environments and regularly clean your home and surroundings.

Weakened immune system

Molds are known for weakening your immune system as they cause health effects, they are also known for causing infections in the individual’s immune system. This reduces the strength of the white blood cells to fight against pathogens that may infect your body system, leaving you vulnerable to other diseases such as coronavirus, which will also affect your body organs. It would help if you were inspected by a professional to ensure that your home is mold-free.

These are the signs and symptoms of mold infection that you need to be aware of, you should always ensure your house is mold-free, make sure your house is clean; ventilated and make sure there is no leak inside your house, keep your furniture a few inches from the wall, dry off the wet area immediately after exposure to contaminants in water, and keep your washrooms free from molds, for a better quality living environment, and always seek a doctor to treat the underlying mold conditions.